Diving Grand Cayman
Caribbean Reef Octopus have definitely mastered the art of disguise. They also happen to be the most intelligent of the invertebrates and can change their colors at will using specialized cells called chromatophroes. Rarely seen by divers in the day time, these incredible creatures can be found at night hunting on virtually every dive site in the Cayman Islands.
Did you know that:
- Studies show that octopus can learn by watching other octopus
- They have been observed playing with toys
- Octopus have 4 pairs of arms
- To confuse a predator, an octopus can release black ink to assist in escape
- If lost during an attack, an octopus can regrow an arm
In this video you can clearly see the octopus changing color while adapting to the environment and background. In the last few frames he actually stumbles across the back of a large sleeping stingray.
Octopus from iDive Global on Vimeo.